Ecuador: The Oriente

By , November 9, 2010 5:00 am
Frenchie & Me In The Amazon

Frenchie & Me In The Amazon

We compacted what we needed for four days into our small packs and headed for the Ecuadorean Amazon, locally known as the Oriente. The trip involved an overnight bus from Quito to Lago Agrio, an oil town with not much happening besides being the gateway to the rainforest. After meeting the rest of our tour group at a hotel, we all jumped into a shuttle and drove for 2.5 hours to the river. We broke here for lunch but it was not very appetizing as we had a group of boney dogs drooling at us while we ate. For dessert, we tried this fruit called granadilla (type of passion fruit). It was interesting as it was mainly seeds with each seed in it’s own gooey pouch. It felt like eating a brain. Shortly after, we went in our canoe and rode for 3.5 hours to our lodge.

Granadilla Passion Fruit

Granadilla Passion Fruit

HUGE Colorful Parrot In Cocoa Tree

HUGE Colorful Parrot In Cocoa Tree

As we followed the wooden pathway into Nicky Lodge, I was very happy with our accommodations. There were 6 wooden cabins with hammocks on the front porch. Right after dropping off our stuff, we changed into swimsuits and jumped into the water. It felt great but I admit I was nervous about the possibility of caimans being in the water. Luckily, we were only attacked by sun flies.

Nicky Lodge

Nicky Lodge

We had a total of 10 people in our group and it was quite international. There were several activities each day to keep us busy. Every morning started early with a cruise on the river, the afternoon required hiking through the jungle, and nighttime was left to explore nocturnal living. When we were not being active, we crashed in our hammocks, waiting for food, hoping it was super yummy quinoa soup or chocolate cake.

Going Home To Prepare Yuca

Going Home To Prepare Yuca

About To Taste A Coconut Worm

About To Taste A Coconut Worm

I'm Queen Of The Jungle!

I'm Queen Of The Jungle!

Nappy Time

Nappy Time

For the most part, the animals were hard to spot right away and many times, they were far away from us. Luckily with my new eyes (Lasik, see our previous post), I was able to spot many of them. The toucans were wonderful to see as they flew over us. There were many types of monkeys and our guide could tell just by looking at the tail. There was even a white owl camouflaged on the white birch tree. When we found movement in the water, it turned out to be pink dolphins coming up for air. Our favorite moment was when we saw the tiniest monkey in the world, a marmoset. It was so small and adorable. At night, we saw a tarantula, scorpion spider, more spiders, and tons of bats. Too bad we never saw a tapir, just its footprint in the mud.

Trying To Get A BIG Tarantula Out Of Its Hole

Trying To Get A BIG Tarantula Out Of Its Hole

Caiman

Caiman

MuiMui Petting A Marmoset

MuiMui Petting A Marmoset

What I didn’t expect from our trip in the primary jungle was staying up late hours playing cards with spoons! With Doro screaming “monkey shit”, Boris and Michele fighting over the same spoon every time, Patrick always smiling, and me pounding the table, there was great chemistry among us. Maybe it was the alcohol, but there was definitely something special about being in the jungle.

We MISS YOU GUYS!

Gecko Inviting Itself In Our Bathroom

What We Paid: USD eRate 0.7
Euro eRate
– Cuyabeno Amazon 4 Days, 3 Nights Tour 220 154
– Night Bus From Quito To Lago Agrio: 7 hours 8 5.5

Flickr Photoset | Slideshow

29 Responses to “Ecuador: The Oriente”

1. Le Marroneur says:

Erk les araignées !!! Brrrr (Dis moi c’est quoi cette tronche
    barbue dans la pirogue là ?)

2. Boris says:

Pas si barbue que ça, si?

3. Le Marroneur says:

C’est pas tant la barbe qui m’a choqué, en fait… 😀

4. Joe says:

Looks like you were trying to get the tiny monkey hooked on
    heroin… 😛

5. Boris says:

Ahaha. Ben écoute, levé à 6am tous les matins après avoir bien
    picolés… Ça peut expliquer la tronche 😉

6. Boris says:

Ahaha, not sure if it was heroin, sugar or yuca

7. Ash says:

Cool looking plants and animals!

8. Vince says:

Very cool

9. […] spending five days in the Amazon jungle then 10 days in the
    Galapagos to observe animals, I finally made a decision: I need a
    big […]

10. It’s wonderful that you are getting ideas from this piece of
    writing as well as from our dialogue made at this place.

11. Your style is unique compared to other folks I’ve read stuff from.
    I appreciate you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I
    will just bookmark this page.

12. Ronja says:

Good post. I certainly appreciate this site. Stick with it!

13. Kerttuli says:

It’s going to be end of mine day, however before ending I am
    reading this great paragraph to increase my knowledge.

14. It’s very simple to find out any matter on web as compared to
    textbooks, as I found this paragraph at this website.

15. What’s up, this weekend is good designed for me, because this point
    in time i am reading this wonderful educational article here at my
    house.

16. What’s up, always i used to check website posts here early in the
    break of day, for the reason that i like to gain knowledge of more
    and more.

17. Adriene says:

If some one needs to be updated with newest technologies after that
    he must be pay a visit this site and be up to date every day.

18. Good post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I
    stumbleupon every day. It’s always interesting to read content from
    other writers and use a little something from their websites.

19. It’s an awesome post in favor of all the online viewers; they will
    take benefit from it I am sure.

20. Do you have a lot of coincidences happening around you and tend to
    find that you are nearly always in the right place at the right
    time. Or maybe you want to locate an old friend or a lost object.
    An accurate psychic reader will be able to discern the whole setup
    by checking on the particulars, specifics and data of the bizarre
    situation.

21. pink tshirts says:

It is actually a nice and useful piece of information. I’m happy
    that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us
    informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

22. Right here is the right web site for everyone who would like to
    understand this topic. You realize a whole lot its almost hard to
    argue with you (not that I actually would want to…HaHa). You
    certainly put a brand new spin on a subject which has been
    discussed for ages. Excellent stuff, just excellent!

23. Detox Slim representa todos os benefícios de uma dieta detox
    tradicional com sopas e sucos verdes, mas sem todo trabalho de
    comprar ingredientes caros e muitas vezes difíceis de encontrar.

24. Shay says:

As manchas de alargamento do pénis usa uma fórmula concentrada em
    um pequeno remendo dérmica, que adere ao corpo.

25. Hazel says:

Jede Diät mit dem Ziel abzunehmen scheitert, wenn die Ernährung
    nicht den eigenen Bedürfnissen angepaßt ist.

26. Misty says:

Nos programmes se concentrent sur la qualité des apports
    nutritionnels tout en respectant les rythmes biologiques du corps.

27. Susan says:

Sister ship Celebrity Equinox followed in summer 2009, Celebrity
    Eclipse in spring 2010 and Celebrity Silhouette in summer 2011, all
    of which carry 2,850 passengers.

28. Santiago says:

You put the lime in the conucot and drink the article up.